Top Eight (8) Reasons You Should Attend the MARE/MO K-8 Conference This Year
It is hard to believe that we are just six (6) weeks away from the annual MARE/MO K-8 Conference. The 2019 MARE/MO K-8 Annual Conference will be held Wednesday, October 23rd (12:00 noon - Pre-Conference Session) through Friday, October 25th (11:00 a.m. - Closing Session) at the beautiful Lodge of Four Seasons in Lake Ozark, Missouri. The theme of this year's joint conference is "Working Together Toward Tomorrow." Click here 2019 Conference Planner at a Glance to see the conference schedule! So, why should you and/or Board members from your school district take time out of busy schedules to attend this year's event! Here are the Top 8 Reasons Why You Should Attend:
1. The conference is focused on the following topics - DESE Presentations (Data and Finance), Legal Topics, School Showcase Topics, Legislative News, Technology and Student Safety Topics. Every "Small Group Session" round features both a legal topic and a DESE presentation. The information presented in each session is up-to-date and pertinent for Missouri school district leaders.
2. The conference kicks off at 12:00 noon with a 45 minute presentation by Learning Blade. This company was awarded a contract with DESE to offer middle school students more opportunities for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) and Computer Science (CS) career awareness at no cost to the school district. Come and see how this program may be of great benefit to your school district!
3. The conference officially kicks off at 1:00 p.m. with "A Conversation with the Commissioner." Dr. Margie Vandeven, Missouri Commissioner of Education, will spend time with those in attendance providing updates on current state education activities. She will also answer questions and engage in casual conversation with attendees.
4. As part of our conference this year, we will be offering "Refresher Board Training" for Board members who have previously completed the required 16 hours of Board Training. This "Refresher Training" will include training required under HB 604 regarding the prevention of sexual abuse of children. We will also be providing the 18.5 hours of training required for newly elected or appointed Board members that also includes the 2.5 hours required under HB 604 regarding the prevention of sexual abuse of children.
5. The conference is structured to provide numerous opportunities to visit with colleagues and collaborate during sessions, between sessions and during receptions and meals in a more relaxed environment.
6. During the luncheon on Thursday, October 24th, Missouri Teacher of the Year for 2018-2019, Shelly Parks, will share a message. This will be followed by the presentation of several "Outstanding Rural Education Awards", including Rural Teacher, Rural Administrator, Rural Support Staff Member and Rural School District. There will also be a presentation of a "Friend of Rural Education" award!
7. Many of the rural DESE Area Supervisors will be our guests during the conference thus providing you an opportunity to visit with them in a more relaxed, informal setting.
8. In addition to all of the above, the conference will provide you with great food, great fun and the opportunity to visit with numerous business organizations that provide products and services for and strongly support rural education. You will also have the opportunity to register for a number of prize drawings to be held throughout the conference!
If you have questions regarding the conference, please do not hesitate to call (660) 747-8050 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. See you in October!